curing at Boiler Point
Goldies Residence & Isbister's slipway
Careys Bay 1873
POINTS OF INTEREST
Point was the site of a cave known to "Kai Tahu as Te Ana O te Makau -
(The cave of the ebb tide)". The point was cut through for the road in
1873. Mine Sweepers and Cargo Lighters were built here between 1941 and
1944 by Stevenson and Cook, after which the site continued to be used for
boat building by the Mason Brothers Ltd.and subsequently Simms Engineering
Ltd.until 1984. It has now been reclaimed from the Otago Harbour beyond
Miller and Tunnage.
site was originally the site of a fish curing establishment in the 1880's,
which supplied New Zealand towns, as well as the Australian Market, with
smoked fish such as ling, moki and blue and red Cod.
and Tunnage Ltd. Took over the Miller Brothers business in 1922 and is
one of the last boat builders in the world to build traditional wooden
boats and has now diversified into aluminium and fibreglass boats.
Cattle Track was originally the only access between Careys Bay and Port
Chalmers prior to the road being formed along the harbour side. Sheep and
cattle were landed in the Bay and driven up the Cattle Track to Harbour
Terrace, along the path over the hill to Port Chalmers and on to Dalkieth
holding yards for inspection and sale.
The Fishermen's wharves
fishermen have kept their boats in Careys Bay from the earliest days of
European settlement. The Port Chalmers fishermen's Co-Operative Society
was formed in 1909, and the current wharves were built in 1963 to accommodate
those vessels previously moored near the export wharf and Bowen Pier and
other Careys Bay Craft.
Careys Bay (previously known as Mansford Township)
township was named after the first settler, William Henning Mansford, who
arrived in the area in 1848 and left in 1856, and was later changed to
Careys Bay after David Carey, one of the Waikouiti settlers who lived in
the bay from 1849 and provided the first lightering services at Port Chalmers.
Crescent Hotel (now Careys Bay Hotel), was built for Henry Dench,
(who also owned Chicks Hotel in Port Chalmers), in 1874 from Port Chalmers
bluestone. The General Store, stood alongside the hotel from the late 1890's
to the mid 1980's.
Goldies Point / Naval Shed
Point was the home of William Goldie a lighterman who was also a captain
in the Port Chalmers Navals who's shed was built here in the 1890's.
Isbister Patent Slip.
Isbister established his patent slipway in 1863 - 1864, on which vessels
up to 400 tons were built and repaired. The Otago Harbour Board continued
to use the slip until 1916 when it was closed. Its remains are still discernable
at low tide near Athfields point.
The Floating Dock ‘Alpha'
construction of the ‘Alpha' began in 1867 and was launched 5 August 1868.
It was purchased by William Isbister and towed to Port Chalmers where it
was well patronized during 1869 and early seventies, but when the graving
dock was opened in 1872 its value decreased and it ended its days as a
breakwater at Careys Bay by 1892. Its remains are still discernable at
low tide near Athfields point.
Point was the home of the Athfield family for over 100 years and was the
site of John Tunnage's fish curing sheds.
out the latest saga on noise and visual polution